Friday, April 17, 2009

"What Do You Mean?? "

Before you start wondering what this post is all about, let me clarify, I am making an attempt to find out what does my name mean.. All these years, I beleived that my name had to do something with "Ashwamedham", (A Horse..) Like every one else I too have used my name with pride many times.. Corrected people when they spell it wrong (Man I hate when ppl do that...), but I myself never bothered to dig deeper beyond the "Ashwamedham" concept i had in mind.. What a shame.. I dont exaclty know what my name means.... :(

It all happened recently, when I had to travel to Taiwan for a Business Visit. There I happened to meet our client Mr. Ashin Nuhi... During our introductory session, he so beautifully expalined the meaning behind his "COMPLICATED" name, which means bright sunshine in Taiwanese.. (Read-- Chinese).. During our casual chat he somehow , in his broken English, managed to ask me.. So Mr Ashwin, WHAT DO YOU MEAN?? I was jus startled... Then i realised he wanted to know What my name means... Now this I had never thought... Never in my dreams did I think I will be explaining the meaning to Ashwamedham to a Chinese guy..To make matters worse, I myself was not aware as to explain it in greater detail. Thats when it struck to me that i should come up with a more GENERIC meaning of my name, coz i have never bothered to probe beyond what I already knew..

A bit of googling on my name turned out to be really intersting... It threw up a loot of results... I suggest all of you guys who would want to kill some time should definitely do this activity...
he he... Especially in Office.... what say??
Well this is what the worldwide web thought about me.. (or rather, my name)

Ashwin ,also known as Aswayuja, is the seventh month of the Hindu calendar and the sixth month of the Bengali calendars, and also sixth month in the India's national civil calendar, where it is the second month in Shôrot, (Sharad in Hindi) or Autumn
Ashwin also means light in the Hindi language, and Ashvini is the first star that appears in the evening sky, in Hindu constellation it is the head of Aries, or the first of the 27 Nakshatras.

Ashwin also stands for the Divine twins, the "Ashwins" , considered to be the Hindu Gods of vision, in Hindu mythology.

I was surprised by the kind of relations or meanings that my name had.. The next immediate thing I was trying out is to suit the perfect meaning to my name, which matches my personality.. he he.... So i decided to stick with " Ashvini is the first star that appears in the evening sky, in Hindu constellation it is the head of Aries, or the first of the 27 Nakshatras." So now I mean a Star, nad not jus a Horse... A good discovery..

So the next time some chinese guy asks me WHAT DO YOU MEAN? I can proudly Say that I am a Star.... ha ha..
Oh.. Suddenly I have run out of thoughts.... So hmmm.. I guess thats all 4 now.... This is Ashvini the Star.. signing off !!! ;)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good one buddy...keep discovering yourself!!! So you hate when someone spell your name wrong..how abt this - faswin!! :)

And it was not required to do a google search to find out the meaning of your name..you could have very well came to us..and we would have gave you the best version :). Jokes apart, a nice post buddy...and there is actually one game and I shall soon tag you that : type "Your Name needs" in google and publish the first 10 results.

Till then..keep writing!!

Ashwin said...

Thanks a Loot for the help buddy.. Keep coming up with interesting options... I am alwaays open fa suggestions...

UL said...

Did you check with your parents on what they named you for? What they had in mind when they gave you the name Ashwin? Will be very interesting to find out...nice one, Star ji :)

Bala said...

Sorry we kept you in the dark sunny, until now about the meaning of your name. For us after the apple of our eye(our first born, your Didi, dude), you were the Star of the house.The way we spell the name of the first star was out and out a female name. That is when we realised, that the star "Ashwati" is also known an as "Ashwini". With one Aswini Kumar heading the Indian Hockey Federation we knew Aswini can also be a Bongo name for male.(From where else do you think we picked Aparna for your Didi?).Since you were and are the Star of the house we named you just that. Of course the twin Gods of directions, the "Aswini Kumars" also guided us in your name selection.
A nice post sunny. Keep it up
Love Achan and Amma

Shamrez Zack said...

Good post buddy.... Keep blogging...

I still wonder what my name mean :(

aparna said...

hey thats a coool one bro!!!! like u said u hav done quite a lot of research on ur name, ofcorse u have always been the 'star' @ home, hw else did u manage to escape small punishments leaving me to face the music? he he!! n'ways luvd this blog.. keep entertaining bro?!!

Ashwin said...

Thaanks a loot everyone..

@UL >> Guess my parents had a lot in their minds with regards naming me.. hehe... Finally as Dad put it.. its indeed pretty interesting...

@ Dad >> Thanks a loot for finally letting me know the Mystery behind my Name.. The Bong Connexion sounds interesting though... And Thanx a ton for ur never ending encouragement..

@ Zack >> Zack.. Seriously.. do some googling.. Interesting results pop out.. Wink wink...

@ Sis >> Thanx a ton sis for covering up ur younger bro... now u have become the Apple of my eye too... hehehe....

Tattoedmominthegreenscarf said...

Great post ! And anyways i din't have to do much googling to find out what my name means! But really intriguing topic... something which most people dont normally give much thought to ! You have done a splendid job of penning it down!

Ashwin said...

Hey. Thanka a loot gal.. Well its all thanx to Mr Ashin Nui.. Had he not shown interest in my name, I wudnt have thought abt it too... he he... Thanx again.. :)But i seriously suggest.. Explore wat the web world thinks of ur name... he he.. its fun !! Wink...

piyal said...

Well,
I vaguely know what my name means... some tree and all.

But I had made up a nice short story for interviews where I am invariably asked to explain the meaning of my exotic name. The story I tell them is about how "Piyal" trees are found in the Sunderbaans and how its one of the major attractions there apart from the Royal Bengal Tigers.
I had also wanted to add some more spice by saying how tiger cubs play on "Piyal" tree branches and how male tigers impress tigresses by presenting them with "Piyal" flowers during courtship; but my conscience came to the rescue!

But now, I will google the actual meaning out for sure - Thanks to you, Ashwin! :)