Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Reason to Celebrate...

It was a regular day in Office.. The same old Client presentations, the same old pretending to be busy etc etc.. Somehow spent 11 hours in office and reached home.. As expected out of a typical Bachelor, the first thing I did was to turn on the Television.

I love the company of some good music especially when I am alone at home. So the obvious choice was VH1. Made myself a cup of tea all the while enjoying the latest number from Lady Gaga. Finally I freshened up and decided to watch a beautiful series on Discovery Channel – TIME WARP.. ( A Genuine statement to people who have not watched it.. you are missing something).. And so I was watching Time Warp and enjoying every bit of it till the inevitable ad break..

I was just staring at the screen when suddenly one ad caught my attention… My Hero, My Daughter… Celebrate Daughters’ day on 27th September, with Archies Cards.. I was like.. Duh.. WTF… Daughters’ Day. Hey... I am not against the Fairer sex or anything like that. I am just amused by the way these Greeting card companies make regular calendar days something really important.. I mean, no one ever celebrated these kinda stuff had these Greeting Card companies not made cards on Mothers’ Day, Fathers’ Day, Teachers’ Day even Valentine’s Day. I mean there is nothing wrong in it, but somewhere I feel the emotional value is getting lost... (I am bound to find plety of differences in opinion in this context)

But now , somehow I feel there has to be a limit somewhere. There is nothing wrong in Celebrating a day specially for someone, but there has to be a history behind it. There is a specific reason why Valentine’s day is celebrated, why Teachers; Day is celebrated and so on. But Daughters’ Day – on what context.. May be I am ignorant or unaware, but I don’t think the significance of an Intense relationship between a Father, Mother and their children should intensify on a particular day! It is something to be celebrated throughout ones’ life…

May Be I am thinking too much.. May be it would be better if I set my mind at rest and enjoy the next episode of Time Warp…

Disclaimer -- I have nothing against the celebration of any day, Just that I personally feel that the significance of certain relationships are lost into thin air behind the marketing gimmicks by a few companies..

Cheers.. I sign off...

6 comments:

Vardhan said...

Hi Ash,

Tomoorow we are celebrating "Blogger's Day". Plz join the celebrations.

Cheers,
Vardhan

Sh@s said...

This new(though not very new) business sense has commercialized almost everything and popularized the Day culture whereas everyday should be a celebration of life and relationships and not limit it to only specific days.

Ashwin said...

@Vardhan... U will never change man !!! :)

@Shas.. I totally second your opinion.. I feel it kinda formalises a lovely relationship with Greeting cards gifts and sort.. But it is purely my personal opinion as well .... :)

Capgainers said...

Hey Chinchs,
Nice one... :)

Amrit said...

My thoughts are exactly the same buddy. But then I think..if there is any day on which you bring smiles on your love ones face..its very special.

May be such day is useful in these times (read busy) to atleast reach out to each other and say we care.

Ashwin said...

@ Amrit > Totally agree with you bud.. guess never thought on those lines..