Monday, September 21, 2009

Destination Unknown….

“Kabhi Kissi Anjaan sheher keliye ticket kata ke dekho”… Be Born Again….. these words said by Amir Khan in the latest Titan ad were echoing in my head all the while I was travelling in the Bus…
Everything started with a wedding invite that I received from a very good friend of mine. The D day was on 23rd of August and the venue was a small village somewhere in Tamil Nadu. Well that was the only information I had… Along with a mandate that no matter what I was supposed to attend the wedding at any cost ! However I was assured by my friend that he will ensure I land up safely at the right venue.. :)
You will not believe, I had no clue where this village was till the final date of travel as the tickets were booked by another one of our friends who was travelling along with me to the wedding. Finally, after loads of struggle, I somehow managed to find out the destination. It was close to Tanjore, the haven of traditional art forms paintings and the ever famous Tanjore temple. But still this wasn’t the exact location. But at least I knew where I was headed to – Close to Tanjore… he he..

So we boarded the bus on Friday night and reached the location on Saturday morning 7.30. It was finally when I got out of the bus (No Volvos or AC buses to the destination… Only an old rickety bus, which is probably meant to run only on country sides….) that I realised that I actually am in one of the remotest place in Tamil Nadu that I have ever visited. Apparently the ‘close to Tanjore' was an eye wash made by my friend who probably didn’t want to take the pains to explain where the hell we were off to. I realised that we were around 170 KM away from Tanjore and 380 KM away from Chennai...

Well the name of the Village or rather hamlet was ‘PATTUKOTTAI’. If translated literally into English, meant SILK FORT. It was altogether a different feeling. No hustle bustle of Automobiles, no blaring horns, no busy people running around. There were no Auto rickshaws. Only Govt buses were the means of transportation. That too one bus every 5 hours. One can slightly get a feeling as to what kind of place it would be.

But what changed my perception was the Tanjore – Pattukottai bus trip. I could experience the real beauty of the unspoilt, unpolluted countryside... Long winding (surprisingly well maintained) roads through acres or rather hectares of lush green Paddy fields on both sides dancing to glory to the tunes of the wind. The roads were rarely occupied by vehicles. Cows, Buffaloes, and occasionally the tractors used to crowd the roads near small towns. It was a beautiful experience all in all.

I was feeling totally out of place in a plain Blue Denim and Grey Tee. The rest of the Junta were in the traditional White Dhotis and White Shirt. I could feel as though the entire village was staring at me with amusement. And finally, after a two and a half hour long journey we finally reached the marriage venue.


The entire family was there to welcome us. It was a royal treatment that we got. I was taken aback by the warmth and the affection being showered on us. Suddenly, the feeling that – Oh my God, where on earth have I landed, just disappeared. I was feeling really great.

The marriage was purely traditional with the entire village attending the ceremony. It was a fantastic experience. The way the people of the village were taking pride in being part of the wedding was just too good. Small kids to young men had taken the responsibility to handle the function, from arranging the tables and chairs, serving the lunch etc. The females had taken up welcoming of the guests and collecting the gifts, ensuring that each one of the guests were well taken care of etc..

This made me realise how distinct is the culture with in one state itself. It was a great feeling to be part of the entire function. Pattukottai and the wonderful people will remain etched in my mind for a long time..

Image Source: http://wallpaper4god.com/wallpapers/destination-unknown_299_1024x768.jpg

3 comments:

Sh@s said...

It sure must have been an unforgettable experience from enjoying the rustic natural delights to experiencing the anxiety and uncertainty of the unknown destination.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Do read my reply to your comment on my blog and answer my questions there. I wish if you could do the "!0 reasons to smile" tag. would love to read your reasons of happiness or smiles.

Ashwin said...

Hey Shas.. Thanks 4 visiting my space... Yes Indeed. It was a lovely experience...

Would definitely Attempt answering the same... :) But can I add more than 10??? :)

Sh@s said...

Oh! sure. There shouldn't be a limit or numbers shouldn't limit human joys. Would love to know thousands of reasons that make you and others happy.